Sunday, September 25, 2011

#20 Santanoni and #21 Couchasaraga-September 24th, 2011

Krista, Debbie, Rebecca

Starting in the dark
I was very excited for this trip down to the 'dacks as it was my first opportunity to hike post-Hurricane Irene. I had planned originally a multi-day backpacking trip starting at Upper Works on Labour Day weekend but alas it was not meant to be. Following the reports of the devastation that surrounded Hurricane Irene in the adirondacks was both shocking and unbelievable. Marcy dam bridge is GONE!? And that was only the beginning. It was heartwarming to see that the volonteers have worked hard to get things up and running again so soon.

Rebecca negotiating the rope on the express



I chose the Santanoni range to do this weekend because in the trip reports it seemed to be hit less than some of the other ranges. I first was in the range on a very cold day back in February 2010 with Debbie. This was the day we summited Panther, and then went down to Couchie thinking we made it but we found out later we didn't. Since then Debbie returned to the range and finished her 46'er quest on Santanoni over a year ago. It was fitting that she wanted to get back in the range with me to finish the quest we started years ago.







Santanoni summit shot
We left Long Lake at 6am and signed in at the register at 7am. The weather reports had said it was supposed to be 24 degrees with a humidex of 30 with a 40% chance of precipitation. Shortly after heading off on the gravel road, it began to rain. And for most of the rest of the climb, the cloud, fog and rain continued. So much for 40%.

The trip up to the cairn was fairly uneventful. Conditions we wet from the rain that was falling and that had fallen the night before. Debbie, as usual, set a blistering pace so if we weren't wet from the rain we were from sweat. We passed 3 men wearing ponchos near the cairn, and found out that they took 1 hour and 44 mins to get there, whilst it took us only 1 hour and 24 mins. Headed up a new trail to me, the new/old herd path or now more commonly known as the Santanoni Express. Enjoyed this summit climb, including the rope section. Summited Santanoni in the rain at 10am .



Debbie negotiating the Couchie swamp




Couchie summit

After a quick bite to eat and some summit shots, we headed down the path to Times Square. Got to Times Square by 11:15, and immediately began the descent to Couchie. Rebecca began slowing her pace significantly during this section. This was Rebecca's second hike in the high peaks region her first being our Giant-RPR hike in April in winter conditions. Learning how to descend steep peaks is a special skill in the high peaks, one that Rebecca was just learning. Made it down to the Couchie swamp and was able to cross it using numerous logs without any problems (photo above). Heading up to Couchie afterwards I bonked my head fairly hard on a leaner and my jaw snapped as a result. Luckily I didn't get a concussion but didn't feel great for an hour or two afterwards. Made to Couchie's summit and was happy to see a yellow summit marker (photo left). I had read a forum that said that the large wooded sign was gone. I thought I might be looking for a nail on a tree! We summited at 12:45, taking us about an hour and half from Times Square. On our way back through the swamp, Debbie got smacked on the face with a stump with stick daggers and was bleeding with 2 scratches. Cleaned her up and began the ascent back up to Times Square which took another 1.5 hours. The trail was very wet, muddy and puddly the entire duration. Combined with many big steps, log stepovers and unders, and mud slides, we were very dirty returning to Times Square.
Debbie's war wounds

After a brief break, Debbie and Rebecca decided to run up to Panther without packs as Rebecca needs that peak for her 46. I didn't need it so I rested at the top of Panther Brook to assess my head situation. 20 minutes later they had returned and we began our descent. The steep slope down Panther brook I remembered from last time, but I remembered it because I was sliding down on my snowshoes. This time it was much different. Lots wet boulders and slimy mud to negotiate. Rebecca slowed her pace down again as her ITB band was flared up and made descending difficult. We finally reached Bradley Pond to find that people were camping there but no where near the lean-to. Everyone had searched for higher ground as the entire trail was oversaturated with water and mud. There were many re-routes which were helpful but it didn't really matter at that point as all our feet were already wet. My tried and true Outdoor Research Salamander gaiters which normally keep my feet dry in the narliest of conditions failed today. That said, if I wasn't wearing them I think it would have been even worse. I had just got back from a very wet backpacking trip in Newfoundland and felt like I was right back there on this ADK trail. Rebecca's pace was very slow on the way out so we limped along with her and made it out just after dark. Covered with mud, pine needles, and some funky earthy smell we celebrated reaching the parking lot with a loud Yahoo!


Muddy exit


Hike totals: 24.8km, 13 hours (it could have been 11), ascent 1385m. With my increasing techi-ness, I have included a google earth image of our track!